An Active Shul Without Walls
Shoreshim is a vibrant and friendly "shul without walls" that serves Northern Virginia. We like to explore, renew, and reinvent our Jewish experience. Our members live in Reston, Herndon, Oak Hill, Vienna, Oakton, Great Falls, Chantilly, Ashburn, Cascades, and other areas of Loudoun and Fairfax Counties. Shoreshim services, the Shoreshim Hebrew School, and celebrations are held in and around the Reston area of Northern Virginia.
· Services/holidays/Shabbats: We usually gather twice a month – sometimes more. We celebrate all the major holidays, as well as at least one Shabbat each month together. Usually a member will lead; sometimes a local rabbi joins us and leads – it’s always fun, very social and fulfilling. Oh, and delicious.
· Shoreshim School: For K-6th grades, our school meets every Monday from 5:00-6:45 p.m. in Reston. The focus is on Hebrew and Judaics (e.g., values, traditions, Torah wisdom, and Israel). The School reflects our chavurah’s open approach to different traditions in Judaism and humanism. School programming has been evolving strong since 1977, and parents keep noting their kids are coming home happy and asking to go to Shoreshim Hebrew School each week – a great sign!
· Celebrations: Members also help families prepare for bar/bat mitzvahs that are individualized for each Shoreshimer – truly the highlight of our calendar.
Shoreshim means "roots". Our members include Jews and non-Jews, theists and non-theists, families, single folks and seniors. Our strong base includes natives of the Metro area; transplanted Israelis; and fascinating folks from all over the country. Our creative energies help us to develop and celebrate joyous Shabbat and holiday services, social gatherings, study activities and life cycle events. We control overhead without sacrificing celebration. We purposely keep school tuition very low. And our equally low dues for the many gatherings throughout the year mean that active Judaism is affordable for all.
Participatory and lay-led, Shoreshim chooses not to employ the services of a full time rabbi. Instead, we work with outside resources (Rabbis, Cantors and Judaic scholars) to assist with select services or celebrations and to help us learn.
Shoreshim Hebrew School in Northern Virginia
• We meet on Monday afternoons at 5:00 pm in Reston, VA during the academic school year, September thru June, excluding Jewish holidays and FCPS holidays.
• Class sizes are small, with less than a 10:1 student-teacher ratio; older teens serve as aides, allowing for individual attention that engages both head and heart.
• Age-appropriate activities awaken a child's joy in his/her Jewish identity, through songs, drama, games, arts & crafts, poetry, and midrash.
• Each session begins with a school-wide assembly that enhances a sense of participation and belonging to our havurah, the larger Jewish community, and a rich fabric of life all around the students and their families.
• We prepare our students to lead "School Shabbat" and other services several times a year, and build synagogue and prayer skills for their Bar or Bat Mitzvah.
• We welcome diverse Jewish and interfaith families; everyone is welcome!
Our staff make every effort to provide an inclusive atmosphere for children with varying backgrounds and religions. Whatever your child's age, level of religious education, or religious heritage, Shoreshim welcomes you and your family.
We hope that you and your child/children are as excited about the coming year as we are. We look forward to sharing each week with you!
Visit our Open House on Monday September 12, 2016, starting at 4:45 p.m. For more info, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shoreshim Hebrew School
Showing posts 1 - 3 of 3. View more »
Welcome to Shoreshim